Friday, September 14, 2012

Cabin by the sea

I woke up Friday with an unfamilar excitement in my stomach! Realizing it has been far too long since I have been excited about things. My 18 year old son had asked me and Esther to go with him and his friends to the beach to watch them surf! This is what life is all about. Throwing all laundry, house cleaning, and other boring but needed duties to the wind. Esther and I jumped in the van with the teen-agers, the "Dirty Heads" song "Cabin by the Sea", setting the perfect atmosphere for the day to come! My son actually got embarrassed that I liked the song so much. "MAWM!" he said "do you know what the words say in the song?" "Do you know they are singing about drinking and smoking around the campfire?"  "Yes, I do!" I reply..."and I promise I won't start doing that but I really like this song!" Just as the song says the storm was a no show! The day was warm and the sky was blue and all duties were left far behind. Esther shouting to me over the fun music says she feels like she is cheating and or sneaking off doing something she shouldn't! I understand what she means. How blessed am I though to have a friend who works outside of the home and is a wife and mother who was willing to leave all of that for a day at the beach! Although the boys go with surf boards and wet suits we came with bags of food and coolers of drinks. Oh yes and our puppy! You know you are alive and right where God wants you to be when relationships, Gods creation, yummy food and a puppy is ALL that has meaning for that day!

This day shines brightly in my great year of sadness. My greatest purpose and privilege in life is ending and starting a new season. But I have tremedous sadness as the old season is leaving! And that is the season of being a mom to kids. Yes I know I am still a mom but it changes and I happen to love being a mom of kids! As my youngest leaves off to college I realize this is the conclusion of the destiny that God had for me. at that time in my life! I am fully feeling the impact of the loss of this season. But the day at the beach singing with the "Dirty Heads" feeling like a teen-ager makes me curious of the new season and the new destiny to come!  I am not figuring out what God has in store I am resting and trusting in this transition! That is new for me! Resting and Trusting! The day at the beach told me that everything I have experienced thus far in my life the good the bad and the ugly has been preparing me for a life more beautiful than I could have dreamed, not perfect but beautiful like the day at the beach! 

No comments:

Post a Comment